Sefton 0-19 Services
Prince Street Clinic
Tel: 0151 247 6354
Parent/Carers of Current Year 1 and Reception Cohorts
During your child’s reception year in school, the school health service offers a screening of height/weight/hearing/vision. We had planned to visit your child’s school in January 2021.
However, due to Covid-19 and the national restrictions, screenings have been paused and we are currently unable to complete this programme.
We will resume this screening as soon as possible, when we are able to access schools. In the meantime, if you have any concerns regarding your child’s height, weight, hearing or vision, you can contact your school nurse team on: 0151 247 6354 email@example.com secure email account,
We have provided some guidance on signs and symptoms which can help you identify whether your child does require a referral now, rather than wait for the screening programme to recommence.
- Concerns of squint (eyes look crossed, turn out or don't focus together)
- Family history of wearing glasses in childhood
- Drooping eyelid
- Holding things close to see them.
- Getting close to the Television.
- Complaining of reduced vision.
- Complaining of frontal headaches.
- Complaining of double vision
- Closing one eye.
- Screwing both eyes up.
- Short attention span with sustained close work.
- Not recognising people in the distance.
- Rubbing eyes, one or both.
- Frequent trips and falls.
- White or cloudy pupil
- Does not respond when called
- Constantly asks for speech to be repeated
- Watches faces/lips intently
- Doesn’t always follow instructions straightaway
- Often misunderstands or ignores instructions
- Makes little or no contribution to group discussions
- Watches what others are doing before doing it themselves
- Complains about not being able to hear
- Tires easily
- Does not pay attention or appears to be day dreaming
- Plays alone and doesn’t engage with group social activities
- Becomes easily frustrated
We would also like to sign- post you towards the National Deaf Children’s Society website (NDCS), which has a wealth of useful information.
Anne Tattersall Helen Pruden
Assistant Director Operational Manager
Sefton 0-19 Service Sefton 0-19 Service